The California Conference of Local Directors of Health Education(CCLDHE) is a professional affiliate organization of the California Conference of Local Health Officers.
Our purpose is to provide a centralized venue for all health educators to bring forth career related issues, concerns and needs. We serve as a professional clearinghouse for public health education, providing leadership and health education advocacy statewide to ensure that the Standards of Practice for Public Health Education are supported and that primary prevention and community health education remain core public health components within California local health departments.
Membership includes Directors of Health Education in local official health agencies who provide overall administrative direction, planning, and implementation and supervision of public and community health education programs. The organization membership serves on committees of the California Conference of Local Health Officers. CCLDHE holds a semi-annual and an annual meeting (conference), usually in the spring.
- Legal Authority
To Contact CCLDHE, please click here.
EXECUTIVE BOARD, 2014-2015
Co-President Edith Cabuslay
San Mateo County Health System
Co-President Robin Cox
Solano County Public Health
President Elect Vacant
Treasurer Dena Loijos
Santa Cruz County Public Health Department
Past President Patricia Erwin
San Francisco Department of Public Health
- To provide a venue for health educators in local official health agencies to be represented.
- To provide input on health education matters to the State Department of Health Services, the Legislature, CCLHO, and other groups concerned with the health and well-being of the community.
- To collaborate with other health professions for insuring program effectiveness.
- To maintain the integrity of the profession.
- To improve the skills and effectiveness of community health educators and other health professionals.
- To facilitate and evaluate the delivery of effective health education programs.
The primary programs under the direction of Local Directors of Health Education may include any of the following:
- Program Planning and Implementation
- Community Needs Assessments, Evaluation, and Research
- Training and Continuing Education
- Communicable Disease Prevention
- Programs Related to Maternal, Child, and Adolescent Health
- Tobacco Use Prevention
- Community Outreach, Media Production, and Public Relations
- Women’s Health and Family Planning
- School Based Programs
- Public and Consumer Information Systems
- Wellness and Health Promotion
- Special Grants and Project
Since its founding, CCLDHE has accomplished the following:
- Developed “Standards of Practice of Public Health Education in California Local Health Departments.”
- Developed guidelines for the Public Health Educators working with communities, the media and targeted case management (TCM).
- Maintained the educational integrity of the profession by ensuring that health educators are recruited and hired in accordance with the California Code of Regulations.
- Provided consultation and technical assistance on issues related to health education to California Conference of Local Health Officers (CCLHE), state health department, state legislature and local jurisdictions.
- Developed core competencies for health education.
- Provided continuing education opportunities and programs which improve and enrich the skills and knowledge of health educators and other public health professionals throughout California.